14 December 2007

12 good reasons to drink coffee


A second cup of coffee was brewing just as a handmade package landed in my mailbox this morning; a mini-book entitled "12 good reasons to drink coffee" with a hand drawn coffee mug on the enveloppe -- seemed awfully poetic to me. The book is done by Guyaline Couture and she certainly knows a thing or two about design -- and coffee for that matter. My morning (mini) review of the (mini) book may seem biased 'cause I've often made reference to her on h/e -- she is, first and foremost, someone I openly admire (and those of you who know of my "ego" should consider this), she is a friend and she is also my go-to mentor when I'm having issues with my personal design work -- and I will speak of it regardless. The book itself is surprisingly lively, considering the subject matter (our social health-concensus mis à part with whatever negativity can be derived from caffeine, please... ), it is littered with illustrations, shapes, typefaces and quotes depicted in 12 reasons according to the author but it is also somehow "interactive" with deliberate (mini) sections made to add-in your own perceptions and suggestions (though I doubt anyone would actually dare write anything in it, unless it were for some sort of design-remix experiment). Pages twist and turn with type and drawings in various directions. The "Reasons" shown therein range from philosophical to charming simplicity with an array of coffee cup/mug designs all their own (Reason 7, for instance, "When I'm cold" features an illustrated pair of "winter mittens"). "12 good reasons to drink coffee - according to Guylaine Couture" is a pure example that you can take the ball and run with it ... creatively; passion makes everything boundless.

Available here in french and in english.
4" x 3.25" - printed black on recycled paper
For more: Guylaine Couture www.gycouture.com | gycouture blog