21 August 2005



Never fall in love with a bar -- Dave Sim states this twice in his introduction to Cerebus Volume 11 "Guys". This volume came out in 1997 but I've just recently picked up the 16 volume series (30 years in the making) but I was in a bar when I started reading this volume -- on a sunny afternoon in June at the Baracca on Mont-Royal and that gave me quite a smile. I assumed at that point that I was "in love" with that bar. By myself, just savoring the coincidences. It was later though that I would really fall in love with a bar -- our perfect hang out, far from this city's distractions -- right here in my neck of the woods of Little Italy; the zeebra bar. The staff, the ambiance, the clientèle, the music, the interior design... right in the middle of nowhere, absolutely charming and comfortable. I've become a true regular. I always found something very appealing about bar stools/counters not unlike an old crooner with a glass of scotch wrapped in a deadly italian suit. As much as I try to take heed to Sim's warning about bars, I find that this discovery has become a blessing. We can fear the obvious, I'm only a drink away after all. Autumn & winter's upon us... perfect seasons for me to see if this is more of blessing in disguise.