03 November 2005

mathematical printed type

I must not own half of what I've worked on. I get to see most of it on location. I've seen some of my printed works for the first time when I was in NY, LA etc. and even here in Montreal; it's scarce. There are posters I get a chance to check out solely when I notice them plastered on the streets of Montreal. What I'm getting at is that it's a real joy when I get to carefully observe my printed client projects. I can just look at them for hours, not that much of an analytical look either -- I do go on flaw-hunts but really I'm just wondering what the overall reaction will be. Looking at it from different eyes. The first thing I do everytime I pick up a cd booklet is check out the credits. That's what the quote / unquote music industry people do. Generally, non-industry peeps probably won't keep tabs on engineers, art directors etc. but I do. Then there's the subtle compacting of it all, how the information is distributed throughout the artwork. It's insane how indiependant releases can camouflage this better than any mainstream release, generally speaking, the intent may differ but it's in their benefit to produce the opposite. Budget is everything. Someone who says otherwise is a bad artist. And I've been handling huge UK campaigns this past summer, weather or not this was direct market stuff, the art ultimately suffered. And by that I mean that it revolved around the strategies, not at all an uncommon factor, the art in itself was very nice but I just can't help but wonder what the public opinion is (and not only in that demographic... as cold as that may sound).