06 November 2005

interfere with lovers [01]


Going through all the drafts, paintings, sketches and collages for a print collection that I started to work on about a year ago called interfere with lovers. This was intended to be my "descendo prints: series three", a very raw series of hand made mediums I hadn't used in the previous collection (see here: whistler scars) but to this day no one has ever seen even a glimpse of em', nothing's been completed either (in fact, la nuit rouge "descendo prints: series four" which follows "three" is already nearly complete). This particular collection deals with some very negative issues, everytime I get back to completing the pieces I'm eventually brought back to an awful place -- despite my efforts to avoid it. It's art at its worst. As much as I would like to be done with them, there's this childish resentment I have towards them; I want to expose the prints, sell them, get them hung up on stranger's walls -- I had a strange sense of accomplishment with the previous ones (could go as far as saying that I somehow felt at ease but I can't be too certain about that, it was all very disengenious back then, and that, was on my behalf also). The obvious feeling of accomplishment was that this was my first (public) attempt at doing my signature prints. It sold just fine at the beginning and it got a bit more complicated with the larger sized prints but all in all it was a great experience, one that I am dreadfully late on reproducing. That was me on those walls, not my commissionned work. So why all the whinning? Get over yourself and complete the work. Sounds so simple... I don't feel like going into any specifics (nor will I) but I will elaborate some details in upcoming posts, I'd like to treat it as an essay, an essay on very honest art and its' distribution. There are huge differences between unique/single art pieces and those that are reproduced and sharred all over the world (duh). Although both are very appealing to me, for the meantime I'm still testing out the "online" advantages. A trophy for any collector to have the original piece but I hate the idea of people having mere copies. You can make sure no copies are made... then the art is barely sharred. I do this with most of my paintings, but I give them away to friends, 'cause I know they care. Above is a photo I took near Strawberry Fields in New York earlier this year, it was during that time (or maybe at that specific moment, on a cold misty gray day so far away from it all) that I felt it wasn't necessary to complete the interfere with lovers prints... it felt meaningless but to this day, it still feels unresolved. I was too late. Like whistler scars, they should've been completed on the spur of the moment, in the thick of it all. Going back NOW is just so much of a burden but it remains a statement that I would like to expose. I probably will.. but the idiotic dilemma is costing me plenty of valuable time and unnecessary anguish... not to mention that it's art -- on a very negative yet passionate vibe.