22 June 2006

220606

Broke! It's building up but not as much as I had anticipated -- I usually prepare (financially) for "July", the Jazz fest and one hell of storm of contracts before the two-week vacations that follow. Not sure how I'm gonna pull it off this year, blame it on my late invoices, but I'll be there anyway. We got an early glimpse of summer in Montreal a week-end ago, what it really is; a few nights on outdoor terrasses and just walking around the city at night (I also did an outdoor duet near St-Elizabeth with an old street musician, that's the kind of anecdote you come to expect out of the city). St-Laurent had its festival, the street was closed and as we walked back up the street after closing time, it was near chaotic -- this city has no intention of falling asleep at 3am. Which is why afterhours work. We were attracted by the pull of an escalating riot in progress. It would make sense to have a last call at 4am followed by an hour of non-alcoholic service. Bar and club owners accross town have been demanding it for a long time now, I second that. Montreal's post-3am activites have become very unappealing to me, then again I don't dance, I don't do any drugs (I think) and I try not to be intimate with strangers (on that note, I'm not a voyeur either, I find it difficult to maintain a conversation with someone in a private late night environment while people around me are "f*cking", but that's just me... and 2001 was a long time ago, there is nothing elite about these kinds of secret lounge parties). I used to love June, it just hasn't felt right these past few years -- is it me or it feels as though our summers are slowly extending past September now?