20 February 2006

Montreal [02]

Anticipating week-end events; makes you forget about the following week. "Oh, that was it? Ok, here we go again." It's all about surviving Montreal's cold and dark winter embrace -- although it might be warm in summer, it is always cold. Living in Montreal, to me, has always been a serious challenge. I've seen my design notoriety increase in the city because I've worked in non-Canadian cities and it had nothing to do with my talents nor my knowledge of the trade; working in Los Angeles, New York... working with clients from the UK... all of it more impressive in Montreal than any nomination/award or local endeavor. Do I take advantage of this? Fuck yes. Not only does it show that you can by-pass Montreal but it lessens the city's overall importance. The city's echoes bounce back within its' walls. Why should that be so attractive to conquer? And there you have it. I've said it before, the city has a very rich artistic development/comunity with a very small pedastal. "Montreal's playing hard to get." I guess the city might make you feel like an elitist if you get her but it is in fact a very small victory, very lonely at the top. If your echoes remain in the city, they'll fade fast. Flavors of the month like Spin's coverage of the indie St-Laurent music scene. Not saying that it isn't good music but where were they during the Grim Skunk/Groovy Aardvark days? Ahhh you get it now, don't you?