24 February 2006

where to?


Well, might not be the UK this year after all, but like I've said before, I might go there someday and never come back. Instead I'll "business-it-up" down in Cali. But until then, on the home front; where in Montreal do you feel at ease? I was always very attracted to the Old Port (sangria at pub st-paul also..) but now, like so many other areas in the city, it's like I'm not allowed to hang there anymore. Maybe a few "nightlife" spots left on St-Laurent (unless they're 25 and over bars, I mean come on..) 'cause it makes my blood boil to be amongst the fakest peeps the city's ever seen. Oh yes, and superficial nightlife whores, I can't say it enough, here's one rant on the subject from last year : read about nightlife whore karma. Misogyny? Not really, but can you blame me? I've been labeled as a bitter person, and the obvious points are shown all over this blog, with rants about cultural spotlights on Montreal's "indie" scene, superficial nightlife spots -- these usually come from people who resent trends when they're excluded from the movement. Now you judge if that fits my character or not. I won't hold it against you. I'll ask it again; where in Montreal do you feel at ease? Montreal has such a huge cultural calendar of events, that's something to be proud of... off the top of my head you will spot me at the Jazz Fest, Nuit Blanche perhaps, FFM, not too sure about La Ronde's Fireworks, saddens me a bit, but every year I find a way to view them by myself. A cliché would be to mention the St-Sulpice, everyone hates it and everyone loves it. Tell me that huge terrasse doesn't represent "summer in Montreal" to you. Almost anything on St-Denis is still safe to me. Then again, I'm not fond of The Mount-Royal. It's beautiful, but I'm not comfortable there. La Place Des Arts and the surrounding area, I love hanging out there. On Mount-Royal there are lots of places I enjoy, especially when I go out alone, Baracca, Bily Kun, Le Boudoir is a last resort when the other two are too packed. I have two secret spots I'll keep to myself. I used to enjoy going to Le Roi Bar back when I had forgotten about fashion. In my neck of the woods we have two similar bars on St-Hubert, both of them very charming; Le Petit Medley and the SoHo. I would really love to play shows there but people rarely go up that high just to hear some tunes. Our italian second home, The Zeebra where you can drop in and see me on an almost daily basis, it's hidden on the edge of Little Italy like a diamond in the rough. These are just a few events and locations that I've listed off the top of my head, it does make me realize that I used to own the city a bit more pre-2002 though I don't feel the need to broaden my horizons -- I'd rather eventually move out entirely.