18 March 2006

it's in the way, like that station in the middle


hahahahah yes I did it, I did it: cliché montrealer photo of the subway. I'll go one step further on this one though, 'cause it's a montrealer discussion I've had on several occasions: la tristesse dans le métro which I was reminded of yesterday. Big time. It's not a "problem" or anything, I see no resolve, it's this forced social (asocial?) experience locked in movement with a handful of strangers. No music, bad air and (again) very harsh light. This is a whole different story for "women" in the metro, and in all of Montreal at that -- it's a post I'll get to very soon (inspired by another Montreal summer and what guys-like-me get to experience there). I can't speak for everyone but I do notice an abundance of sadness on those underground trains, in people's faces -- I've seen so much of it, I mean people litterally holding back their tears, you know this is the last place they wanna be right now, exposed to unknown observers -- the irony of it is that he/she is either escaping drama or heading towards it, inevitable. So many mysteries. Is it the lighting? It really lacks seclusion. This affects me very much. But once in a while, you'll spot some couple, some lovers sitting there like nothing else exsists around them -- it's a beautiful thing to witness. If given the occasion, I'll throw them a sympathetic smile like "yeah, you guys've got a good thing going there, let it shine, this place needs it". Listen I'm not saying that I spend my subway time checking out peeps and shit like that but we all "look around" to see who's traveling with us. In a small ounce of casual non-extremist racial stance I'll say that I sure wish some mid-western immigrants would add "soap" to their evil religions, perhaps learn to be more civil also, but hey -- that's very general, happens in every ethnicity too (fuck I'm censoring myself here, but you know what happens when you tell/fight the truth, someone shuts you up: enter individualism). Anyway, yesterday there were these two not-too-good-looking people (by my standards anyway, who am I to judge) just sitting there talking to each other with so much happiness in their faces, you know, barely containing their love, joking around and realized they were speaking a bit too loud... they were very shy at that point looking in my direction, all I could do was smile back, long live people like that. They didn't over do it, no disrepect, the last thing they needed was some jerk coming down on them, no way man, you guys LIVE. It's so easy to jump the gun when surrounded by all this negativity, just put it in another context. Take care of yourselves, happy people, just so rare. More power to them.