27 November 2006

duplicity [02]


duplicity in superficiality | Yes, it's a trait that I can't relate to though I've tried to understand it. I can understand how, say, a poor person can grow up to be mildly superficial if he lands on any decent amount of money but that's about as far as my understanding/relation goes. I'm not perfect, I do have an opinion on someone judging by his or her looks before I even get to know what the person is really about -- that is sort of natural but I'll give em' a chance to prove me wrong... I'm talking first glance here, not long term. I've only met one person who admititly laid claim to superficiality as part of this person's own vital values and in my opinion, you can't judge anyone's morality until you've been in their shoes, except for morals that deliberatly hurt others (but we all have opinions). It's not really about admitting to the adoption of a faulty (my opinon) moral or trait; it's about knowing who you are. Whether this "value" will have favorable repercussions in the long run is another matter altogether. Nevertheless, better to be aware of your own qualities and faults (however you perceive them). Superficial and Shallow are two adjectives that litterally indicate a lack of depth (coming from the word "Surface", after all). J'espère avoir bien fait la part des choses. Last Friday, spur of the moment thing, I ended up in what I like to call a nest for all things superficial, the St-Laurent nightlife clubbing scene, where (I'm sorry to say this), you won't find much insightful discourse -- 1. but there are always exceptions & 2. that is not what this scene is about -- "dancing, getting your mind off things, comparing clothing, having a few (or many) drinks, chillin' out with some buddies, flirting and/or the occasional fucking all in the comfort of one very lively part of town", which can be appealing -- and all that isn't very different from any other part of town (which also has their own problems, evidently). The difference is that I get looked down upon by people (idiots) in clubs of that area compared to say... clubs on Mont-Royal which are supposed to be pretentious and all. I'm NOT saying that it won't happen elsewhere in the city but it'll happen to you a lot less often elsewhere than at it will at any place on... Crescent, for instance. And that's a FACT. I've never been impressed by the elite nor the wannabe elites -- but there is no way you could make "them" believe that. It's superficiality; how could you not want to be on the guestlist? I do like to be on a guest list, but I'm not a better person for being on it and I'm not idiotic to the point that it defines my existence and personality. Why should I care? 'Cause I want peace. It was especially fun on that night 'cause, well, let's just say that I really wasn't "dressed for the occasion" (nor had I shaved in the past two weeks) and I figuered it would've been pointed out to me at some point later that night -- and it did -- several several times by different women in different clubs at different times whom I had never ever met (I didn't ask for their opinion either). It was beyond their comprehension -- litterally beyond -- to the extent that they had to cut off certain (semi-drugged up, semi-drunken) discussions (I have witnesses) with other groups of people to come and RE-enquire about the MOTIVES behind my un-looks (bare in mind, I had "explained" to some of them 10 minutes prior that I just didn't "care") -- completely mystified... a bit like when Crocodile Dundee first came to New York -- some of them haven't heard the expression "judging a book by its cover", then again, I doubt they can actually read! I hate sluts but they do amuse me (not ALL sluts are superficial). I should get an award for Best "Both Sides-of-the-Coin" Blog. It's an absolutely fascinating thing, superficiality, it's in most of us... to a certain degree but in the hands of an idiot, it becomes a weapon. What I consider to be the duality of superficiality is that life's challenges, lessons and rewards are usually found beneath the surface.

>>duplicity [01]