15 May 2006

le québec respire mieux -- mais les arbres capotent


Last week, posters for the new anti-tabacco law appeared around restaurants and bars, and that's fine. I've said it before, I agree with the law, although, as a smoker, it's being a target of : lobbyist propaganda, blantant hypocrisy, marketing distractions and the oh so casual non-smoker jab that I can't stand (oh I hear your rebuttal that being a target here is far less worse than being a victim of cancer caused by second hand smoke, for instance, I do concur, though I would add that there are other snakes in the backyard and this big budget campaign hides them further in the weeds). Nothing wrong with those posters but see this: last Friday multiple flyers and coasters appeared (yes all beautiful four color process printed on both sides with die-cuts, folds and whatnot) and I've seen an average of 50 of these flyers/coasters in three different locations in Montreal far from the city's hot spots, no less. I mentioned Quebec being aroused by the subject, think I'm wrong now? One poster, is enough don't you think? You might ask : "hey! where's the RECYCLED PAPER logo?" Sorry, it's not there. There are over a thousand locations in Montreal alone where the new law will take effect -- now if I saw an average of 50 badly-designed un-recycled printed advertisements (yes, coasters too) in one small Little Italy bistro -- do the math, how many trees were needed to solicit the idea that Quebec will breathe better?

Now read The War On Fun by Ezra Levant (was he anti-french? I'm asking 'cause really I don't know, the Alliance is known for their québecois hatred..), just to be prepared when you become the next target. I bet on cellphones and weight -- what about you?

More on the campaign:
taupes antitabac
cellulaire seconde main
help wanted
incongruité